It has been estimated that on average a school-age child using a disposable lunch generates 67 pounds of waste per school year that equates to 18,760 pounds of lunch waste for just one average-size school. Laptop Lunches. Please consider reducing the amount of lunchtime waste. Here are a few suggestions for getting started as suggested by
- Pack a cloth napkin instead of a paper napkin.
- Pack stainless-steel utensils instead of using disposable plastics.
- Pack a reusable drink container instead of disposable juice boxes, juice pouches, cans, and plastic bottles.
- Pack lunch items in reusable containers. Laptop Lunches work well because they allow for an appealing horizontal presentation. Avoid using plastic wraps, plastic bags, wax-paper bags, and aluminum foil.
- Avoid purchasing pre-packaged items. Buy foods in larger containers and leave them at home for recycling.
- Pack lunches in a lunch box or backpack instead of relying on paper or plastic bags.
How ECO is your LUNCHBOX? To learn more about Trash and Leaching Plastics at Lunchtime, click here